Parents had chosen only last week between two plans offered for their children to return to school — in person and a virtual school option — a decision rendered moot by today’s announcement.
The development comes as a new report from the American Academy of Pediatrics showed that nearly 100,000 children tested positive forin the last two weeks of July.
“Like the districts around us, we are convinced that delaying our in-person opening is the right option for our community’s health,” said New Hope-Solebury School Superintendent Dr. Charles Lentz in a letter to parents. “We have seen alarming reports from schools across the country who have attempted to reopen. Even with all safety precautions in place, these case studies indicate that there is greater concern for the level of student infections and the spread of the disease among children than had been previously known.”
Lentz will formally make the recommendation to move the program online for the first marking period to the Board of School Directors for expected ratification at a special meeting scheduled for Aug. 12.
“We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this will cause; however, we felt that we needed to make this decision sooner rather than later so that families can make necessary arrangements,” Lentz said. “We are working with the Bucks County YMCA to provide emergency childcare, as we know this outcome has a major impact on working families.
“Thank you in advance for your understanding,” he added. “I can appreciate the worry and concern that you have had trying to balance your family’s safety and your child’s educational needs.”