Snow plows ready for action just off I-95 (Photo: John Sikora)
NEW HOPE BOROUGH, BUCKS COUNTY, PA PROCLAMATION OF DISASTER EMERGENCY
January 26, 2015
WHEREAS, New Hope Borough, Bucks County, Pennsylvania is experiencing a severe winter snow storm that commenced on Monday, January 26, 2015 and is expected to continue thru Wednesday, January 28, 2015 resulting in a total snowfall accumulation of fourteen to twenty inches, with ensuing damage to public and private property, the potential of prolonged power outages, and a severe reduction in the ability of emergency services vehicles and equipment to travel public streets and roadways in order to provide assistance and aid to members of the New Hope community;
WHEREAS, the Mayor of the Borough of New Hope has the power to take all necessary steps to secure the health, safety, and welfare of the residents and property within the Borough and to make regulations as may be necessary to promote and secure the public health pursuant to the Borough Code and the Emergency Management Services Code, 35 Pa. C.S.A. 7501, et sec; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor of the Borough of New Hope is empowered to declare a disaster emergency for a period not to exceed seven (7) days, unless sooner rescinded, modified or ratified or extended by resolution of Council, pursuant to the provisions of the Emergency Management Services Code, 35 PA. C.S.A. 7501 et sec and The Borough Code, as amended;
and WHEREAS, the Mayor of the Borough of New Hope has determined that the continuing blizzard conditions caused by the winter storm constitute a threat to the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Mayor of the Borough of New Hope, County of Bucks, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, hereby declares a limited Borough-wide local emergency, effective from 12:01 pm on Monday, January 26, 2015 through 11:59 pm, Sunday, February 1, 2015 and affirms that emergency conditions exist in all areas of the Borough due to severe winter storm conditions.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that:
1. The Mayor of New Hope Borough, County of Bucks, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, hereby directs that the appropriate investigations, mitigative actions and disaster recovery measures be undertaken and implemented in order to mitigate the adverse effects of this emergency; the time consuming bid and contract procedures and formalities normally prescribed by law shall be waived for the duration of this Proclamation, mandatory constitutional requirements excepted:
2. The Emergency Management Coordinator is hereby directed to give prompt and general publicity of this declaration and to file it promptly with the Bucks County Emergency Management Agency;
3. This declaration shall activate any and all applicable local emergency management plans of New Hope Borough and shall authorize the financing of any and all assistance hereunder;
4. The Mayor of New Hope Borough may mandate, at his discretion depending upon the severity of the storm and the requirements of PennDOT and the New Hope Department of Public Works, that no vehicles shall be parked or stopped along any public street or roadway within the Borough of New Hope until the cessation of all plowing, salting, and cindering operations by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and the New Hope Borough Department of Public Works;
5. Any person violating this Proclamation shall be guilty of a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine not to exceed $300.00 and costs or to undergo imprisonment not to exceed 30 days; and
6. that all resolutions or parts of resolutions, which are inconsistent herewith, are hereby repealed.
PROCLAIMED this 26th day of January 2015 at 1:00 pm and effective immediately.