In other countries around the world, Nov. 11 is also reserved for Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which commemorate the end of World War I at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. The U.S. version was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.
In case you were wondering, Veterans Day celebrates the service of all military veterans, while Memorial Day is dedicated to the memory of men and women who gave their lives in the service of our country.
While Veterans Day 2018 falls on Sunday, Nov. 11, the holiday is observed on Monday, Nov. 12.
Here’s what’s opened and closed on Veterans Day 2018:
- New Hope-Solebury Schools are open Monday.
- Giant Food Stores are open.
- Most banks are closed, but the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq are still open. The bond market will close on Monday.
- Government offices are closed for the federal holiday.
- National parks are open on Veterans Day, and offer free admission.
- Courts are closed.
- Many businesses and offices close for the day, but not all.
- UPS and Fedex stores are open, but the post office is closed.
- Many chain restaurants offer special deals and meals for vets.