Most Philly fans never through they’d live to see the day that the Philadelphia Eagles would be Super Bowl Champions, but on Thursday the Birds will “fly” up Broad Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to meet their fans in what’s shaping up to be a monumental victory parade.
“The Eagles Super Bowl victory parade will undoubtedly be an historic day for the team, the city and the fans – a once-in-a-lifetime event,” said Jana L. Tidwell, manager of Public and Government Affairs for AAA Mid-Atlantic. “AAA urges those heading into Philadelphia for the parade to remember to use the triple P’s – plan, prepare and pack (lots of) patience.”
If at all possible, visitors should not drive into Center City, advises the City of Philadelphia. If, however, driving is necessary, officials encourage drivers to park in off-street lots and garages along the Parkway, Broad Street, or South Philadelphia. You should also contact individual parking facilities for rates and availability ahead of time.
Due to security and public safety concerns, parking will not be available at Lincoln Financial Field or the stadium complex. There will be no enforcement of meter and time limit regulations on the day of the parade. Safety violations such as parking too close to the corner, fire hydrants, blocking crosswalks, and double parking will be enforced, according to the city.
There will be significant travel delays on roadways and street closures immediately before, during, and after the Eagles Parade. Motorists should avoid the areas along and around the parade route, including Broad Street, Center City, and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Drivers should use alternate routes and allow for extra time when traveling in the area.
Streets will begin to reopen as early as conditions allow on Thursday, Feb. 8. Most streets should be reopened before the morning rush hour on Friday, Feb. 9. Commuters should allow for extra time on Friday morning, however, as there may be residual delays as operations return to normal.
- City of Philadelphia – Super Bowl Parade Information and Details
- Philadelphia Parking Authority – Parking Garage Options
- SEPTA – Parade Day Service Information
- PATCO Super Bowl Parade Schedule
Plan BEFORE you go:
- Check the traffic and transit situation and adjust your route
- Give yourself plenty of extra time to get where you’re going
- Comfortable shoes are key – be prepared to walk and stand for long periods of time
- Layers – dress appropriately for the cold weather
- Pack snacks and water – many people don’t want to give up their spots along parade routes, etc. to find something to eat/drink
- Bring a portable cell phone charger
When you ARRIVE:
- Keep your money/credit cards/identification in a safe place, preferably close to your body
- Be advised of security procedures in place, depending on where you are going
- Cell service may be spotty – be prepared NOT to be able to make cell phone calls
- Be vigilant – stay aware of your surroundings, use common sense
More Safety Tips. Visitors:
- Should not leave bags unattended and immediately contact police if they notice an unattended bag.
- Make a plan regarding travel and supervision of children.
- Make a plan in case they become separated from their parties, including identifying meetup points in case of separation.
- Ensure children have contact information for their parents or guardians on their person.
- Should sign up for parade related text alerts by texting “ReadyEagles” to 888-777.