The Bucks County Choral Society recently announced that auditions will be held for singers of all voice parts beginning the week of August 25, and running through the week of September 1.
Organizers say that interested singers should complete an audition form available on the Choral Society’s website, or leave a message for the audition coordinator at (215) 230-3836. Please leave your name and contact information for a return call, they request.
The Bucks County Choral Society (BCCS) currently has 116 active singers, nine of whom reside in New Hope, with another six members in Solebury, according to Executive Director Leland Felt.
“Our singers come from every corner of Bucks, Montgomery, Mercer and Hunterdon counties,” said Felt. “During our fourth concert season in 2013-14, we set a new concert attendance record. The Choral Society is widely recognized as the area’s premier large choral ensemble.” he added.
Founded in 1973, the Bucks County Choral Society is an auditioned choir based in Doylestown. Thomas Lloyd, leads the 100+ voice choir through a series of four concerts annually. The Society performs an extensive repertoire of music, ranging from classical to contemporary including major masterworks, opera, musical theater, African-American spirituals, and sacred jazz as well as contemporary commissioned works from both local and nationally acclaimed composers. It is well known for its professional collaborations with yop regional and national instrumental and vocal artists.
Some more audition info:
Expectations for prospective singers:
- sufficient fluency in music reading to be able to learn music independently and not exclusively by ear;
- at least two years of recent experience singing in a community, school, or church choir that regularly performs classical style repertoire;
- availability for weekly Tuesday night rehearsals (7:30-10 p.m.) from September through June at Lenape Valley Presbyterian Church, located at 321 West Butler Avenue in New Britain, PA; a maximum of two missed rehearsals is allowed during each concert period; singers may be excused in advance from a single concert period because of work or family obligations, but are normally expected to sing all four subscription programs;
- payment of annual dues of $125 and purchase of individual music, as ordered by BCCS.
Auditions will consist of:
- vocalizing up and down your range on a simple five-note scale (vi—-ah—-i)
- tonal memory exercises (listening to 4-note melodies on the piano and then singing them back accurately)
- tonal sight-reading
- performing a song, aria, or hymn of your choice
Qualified current high school juniors and seniors are welcome to audition for BCCS, but only with the approval of their school choir director and certification that the BCCS schedule would not conflict with their school choir’s schedule.
Leave a Comment