The Delaware Canal Festival will make its 2016 appearance around downtown New Hope and its historic waterway on Saturday, July 30, from noon to 4 p.m.
Here’s a list of things to do from promoters Friends of the Delaware Canal, Landmark Towns of Bucks County, D&L Trail Alliance and the William Penn Foundation:
- Watch as 15 artists will be painting en plein air along the Canal towpath, creating new work inspired by the natural beauty of the waterway.
- Decorate a duck at the Mural Plaza at 145 S. Main St., then enter it in the contest. (“Luke, I’m your feather”)
- Go on a scavenger hunt and win prizes by picking up clues at PROP and r.e.d.STORATION, 37 N. Main St.
- Enjoy the tunes of the Bucks County Folksong Society in concert at Ferry Street Landing.
- Hear tales of life during the Civil War era from costumed re-enactors on the lawn of the Parry Mansion on South Main Street, and see historic tools, medical equipment, engineering instruments, and cookware.
- Marvel at the suited-up astronaut and his scientist friends from the Johnsville Space Museum juxtaposed against the historical Parry Mansion display.
- Take a guided tour of the Delaware Canal, and learn about the history of the waterway and New Hope. The tour will begin at the Parry Mansion at 2 p.m.
- Enter the Canal Instagram Contest going on July 20-30.
Still asking “why the duck?” Because it fits the bill as a fun, creative, family-oriented way to raise money to help keep New Hope’s canal beautiful.
The contest will include ducks created before (they’re still available at the visitor’s center) and during the festival. Prizes will be awarded in these categories: Most Beautiful (Ages 10 and up), Most Beautiful (Less than 10), Most Humorous (Adults), Most Humorous (Kids), Most Imaginative (Adults), Most Imaginative (Kids), Judges’ Choice and Best of Show.
Take a quack at it!
With support from the Greater New Hope Chamber of Commerce, Delaware River Towns, and New Hope Historical Society, the Delaware Canal Festival should go swimmingly.
Leave a Comment